Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My GAME Plan...

Have you checked out the technology standards for teachers lately?  You can view them here: The ISTE NETS and Performance Indicators for Teachers (NETS•T)
As I reflect on these 5 standards and 25 indicators I am somewhat relieved to say that I feel comfortable with many of the standards and indicators.  With that being said, it is also evident that there is still much work to be done and technology advancements to be made.  The two indicators that I will focus on will be 1.b (engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources).  The key words in this indicator for me are 'real-world issues' and 'solving authentic problems'.  I am striving to utilize technology in a way to that promotes problem solving skills and creativity, not simply practice academic skills.  The other indicator I would like to enhance is 3.b (collaborate with students, peers, parents, and community members using digital tools and resources to support student success and innovation).  Within this indicator I would like to focus on collaborating with students. 

Doesn't this sound like a great idea?  Of course, great ideas are simply that..ideas.  To make these ideas turn into reality I must have a plan, specifically a GAME plan.  Cennamno, Ross, and Ertmer (2009) explain that the GAME plan should include:

Set Goals: My first goal is to create more meaningful real-life activities for my kindergarten classroom that utilize technology and promote creativity. I see this goal as an opportunity to create more project based lessons within my classroom. My second goal is to collaborate with students to enhance their learning through the use of technology and digital tools. I specifically want to create a class blog where my students are able to post daily.

Take Action: I will research what other kindergarten teachers are doing to include project based activities.  I am already finding many examples of wonderful projects.  Here's one about school buses! I will set up a classroom blog and begin teaching my students how to summarize our learning and our day to create a post. I will also find other kindergarten blogs to show my students. Here's an example of an individual student's blogHow cute it that????

Monitor Your Learning: As I begin this process it will be imperative that I track my learning and progress.  As needed I will adjust what I am doing to fit out needs.

Evaluate and Extend Your Learning: I don't see these goals as a final destination but a continual improvement plan.  As I complete each project I will need to reflect upon my learning along with my students' and make any other changes that need to be made.  As I look at extending my learning I will be able to include more project based activities that include technology and digital tools.  I will also be more skilled at blogging and finding learning opportunities within blogging.
Any suggestions to help me be successful??


Resources:
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx

6 comments:

  1. Melissa I applaud your efforts to connect students to technology at such an early age. One resource that I have found helpful is the Education Week website. There are quite a few blogs that you can sign up for that can help inform your curricular approach. Also, one suggestion for maintaining that bond with students, peers, parents, and the wider community...assess what technological resources the students have outside of the classroom. I find that lack of access can sometimes undermine the lessons you're teaching in the class if they can't be reinforced at home. It's always good to have a sense of what your students' parents have and know and if they do not have certain technologies at the home, give them information about libraries or other free/low cost options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, Thanks for your suggestions. I agree that having the knowledge of what students' have available to them is important. When I started the ipads in my classroom they had not been out for too long so I assumed most did not have them and most did not even know what they were. I found out that over 1/3 of my students had ipads at home! I as amazed.... I even sent an email asking parents if it was true... and it was! So I found that many of my students were very capable before I even showed them anything.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,
    You definitely have the energy and enthusiasm of a kindergarten teacher- that's wonderful.
    Your idea of an individual student blog is a great example of using your GAME plan to make the students more accountable and responsible in their environment. Students can interact with each other and utilize these important 21st century skills to enhance a more cooperative digital environment. I found an interesting slide show on http://www.slideshare.net/jgentner/elementary-blogging-2010. This slide show offered me great insight on blogging with young students. Have fun exploring this site!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, I can see you will make a difference for your students and others where you work. Project-based learning affords students the opportunity to engage in the learning process. They work out their understanding of problems and inquiries. They are so fortunate to have you.

    Robbie Dillard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa,

    Your post and blog page are so cute. I love it! I teach first grade and the amount of technology that my students already possess is amazing. Thanks to the wonderful kindergarten teachers, like yourself, that we have in our school district. It makes my job much easier if the students are prepared with some knowledge when they enter first grade. Continue introducing your kids to the technology. We all know that technology is the new way of teaching and its not going any where.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa, you are one ambitious teacher. I would be fascinated in how you make an authentic real world problem that can be solved by kindergartners. When I did my practicum in elementary school some years ago it was your grade that I had the most difficulty with. All high school teachers should spend some time with a good kindergarten to learn what you guys do as a routine that is beyond the ability of a high school teacher. Keep working and improving.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete